I had a customer get in touch with me about a problem they were having when trying to start Sametime Classic meetings from IBM WebSphere Portal. They have a link in Portal to a load balancer which then directed HTTP traffic to one of two Sametime Classic Meeting servers.
When logging into Portal and selecting the link a browser would launch and the user would be logged into STCenter.nsf via SSO. When scheduling a meeting the Meeting Room Client (MRC) would load but as soon as the MRC tries to connect to Sametime Community services (chat) an error appears on the user’s screen.
I took this into a development environment and replicated the behaviour. After enabling debugging on the Sametime server I saw the following output in the stusers*.txt
101117_095933.869,INF,Users ,VpUsrAuthenticate::handleCheckUser: authenticating user with loginName=CN=Ben Williams/O=ACME by a single token
101117_095933.869,FTL,LDAP Aut,authenticating user by tokens
101117_095933.869,INF,LDAP Aut,Starting auth by tokens for [CN=Ben Williams/O=ACME] in org
101117_095933.869,FTL,LDAP Aut,checking LDAP format….
101117_095933.884,FTL,LDAP Aut,token verification failed. 
101117_095933.884,INF,LDAP Aut,AuthTokenContext::authenticateBeforeDirSearch verifyTokenAndExtractUserId failed with reason 4098
101117_095933.884,FTL,LDAP Aut,AuthContext::start: authenticateBeforeDirSearch failed with reason 4098
101117_095933.884,INF,Users ,VpUsrAuthenticate::checkedUser: VpUsrAuthenticate: bad login
I added debug_sso_trace_level=7 and Websess_verbose_Trace=1 to the Notes.ini but again nothing showed apart from when the browser opened STCenter.nsf, so on the Domino side of things SSO is working as expected.
Looking at the Java console output in the web browser when the MRC loaded I noticed “reverse proxy support disabled and detected” appear a few times. I observed this in the customer’s production environment and not in development so I ignored it which turned out to be a red herring.
It got me thinking about a problem I had with Sametime 8.0.2 and an LTPA parsing issue which produced similar errors although not exactly the same. That problem was fixed with a Sametime hot fix and was included in later versions of Sametime so it couldn’t be the same but must be along the same lines.
I exported the LTPAToken from the Portal deployment manager (DM) and imported it back into the Domino web SSO configuration document and restarted but this didn’t resolve the problem.
I then took more time looking at the Portal DM and noticed that Interoperability Mode was enabled which means that LTPAToken and LTPAToken2 are created.
Looking at the web SSO configuration document it was set to LTPAToken only.
After changing it to LTPAToken and LTPAToken2 and restarting things started working and users could now schedule and start meetings.
Active users showing as inactive in All Connections search
Fri, Apr 26th 2013 10:21a Ben Williams A customer was seeing some users marked as inactive when using the All Connections search but when clicking through to the user’s profile they were active and active in communities and all over areas of Connections.
Looking into the database tables I found that the “state” of these users were correct, for example, in the EMPINST.GIVEN_NAME a particular user had a PROF_USRSTATE equalling 0 which means he’s active. In the EMPINST.EMPLOYEE table affected users had their emai [read] Keywords: connections
Unlocking and locking Places during an upgrade using an xml
Thu, Apr 18th 2013 8:17a Ben Williams During an upgrade from Quickr on Domino 8.5.1 to 8.5.3 FP37 I noticed that the customer had a large amount of locked Places. I didn’t want to lock them after the upgrade manually so a little Googling found some old wikis detailing the upgrade from QuickPlace to Quickr which contained the following commands.
The following commands allow you to write to xml the locked Places and then after the upgrade use that same xml to lock the Places.
load qptool report -q [PlaceIsLocked]=1 -o qptool.loc [read] Keywords: domino
Sametime Gateway federation with Google now working
Fri, Apr 12th 2013 10:16a Ben Williams A few weeks ago I blogged that Sametime Gateway federation with Google not working. It turns out it is now working. I was waiting for this to be fixed by Google and incidentally had to restart a customer’s Gateway server and on restart I noticed whilst tailing the trace.log that there were no errors like I had seen before.
I emailed IBM as I had two PMR’s open (for separate customers) and told them that it is now working. Shortly afterwards I received the following official response [read] Keywords: ibm
Sametime Gateway federation with Google not working
Tue, Mar 19th 2013 12:13p Ben Williams Last week I started seeing problems with the s2s federation with Google, errors like the following were appearing in the SystemOut.log.
[12/03/13 17:24:43:112 GMT] 0000003b LoggableInput 3 com.ibm.rtc.gateway.xmpp.util.LoggableInputStream read(byte b, int off, int len) XMPP logging < : length=203 msg:
It looked like Google were building white lists with approved domains. A friendly guy in IBM Support told me that there have been some changes in the Google policies and IBM are trying to R [read] Keywords: ibm
Adding Quickr Places to the Connectors using a URL
Fri, Jan 25th 2013 5:15a Ben Williams A customer found Add Quickr places to connectors via HTML link blog post from Michael Urspringer and wanted an easier way to populate the Connectors for users. Michael’s post said to use the following format;
I remembered that there was a major shift between 8.2 and 8.5 and that I had noticed (whilst resolving another problem) that some of the elements had changed. Thankfully when testing this on a Quickr 8.5.1 server I found tha [read] Keywords: domino