There has been some interesting discussion over the past couple of days about Domino Directory Independence. Domino “directory independence” would allow information now stored in the Domino person documents to be stored in another directory such as third party LDAP or Active Directory. I had quickly responded to the discussion with the recent presentations that Gabriella Davis and Tom Duff and myself had made at IAMLUG that were somewhat directory related – including a session that described how to use another directory for authentication without requiring the HTTP password in the Domino Directory, and the use of Tivoli Directory Integrator to update data in either the Domino Directory or an LDAP directory.
But I’ve been doing some further thinking about this. Why would you want to store person data in Active Directory? What exactly is in the Person document? Have you looked under its hood? Are there attributes available in Active Directory that would match one for one those that are currently used in the Person document? Well the answer is no. Having done a fair bit of TDI connectivity between Domino and LDAP, I’ve come to realize that you either have to task existing attributes for Domino that aren’t being used by Active Directory, or you need to add them. Do you know how to add them? Do you have an LDAP or Active Directory expert in your environment? Is Active Directory stable? What if you don’t want to depend on Active Directory? What if you want to move to the cloud?
Okay, so what if all those attributes were available? Then yes, using LDAP or Active Directory as your primary directory might make more sense. As the linkages for desktop policies and mail routing and ACL’s, etc., etc., would be easier to recreate. But again, stop and think about it a moment. They don’t currently exist, so building them is a huge project. Do we as customers really get the most out of something like Directory Independence versus being able to use Active Directory or LDAP for authentication for Domino, or being able to customize the Domino Directory easily and quickly, when precious IBM development resources can be used to fix existing problems or coming up with an entirely new solution?
Key Takeaways for me from Lotusphere 2012
Sat, Jan 21st 2012 8:09a Marie Scott I’m winding down the week of Lotusphere 2012 trying to fight off the usual post-conference plague/cold. The last few years I’ve been fortunate to add a few days to the end of the week to spend some time in Florida before heading home to the grey and cold winterscape of home. Winters in Virginia are nothing like what lots of Lotusphere attendees experience; we don’t usually have much snow. But we do have cold spells, occasional ice storms, and days of gray cloudiness. So the opp [read] Keywords: collaboration
Emails received as HTML text – How to correct!
Thu, Nov 3rd 2011 7:10a Marie Scott Several users (8.5.1 and 8.5.2) have reported receiving emails as HTML formatted text. After reviewing Notes preferences and reinstalling the Notes client, IBM Support was contacted. Here are the findings:
This problem may occur after Google Chrome has been uninstalled. If the default browser is not chosen when uninstalling Chrome, Notes will not be able to find the OS default browser.
To resolve the issue, set Internet Explorer or Firefox as Window’s default browser. In some case [read] Keywords: ibm
Traveler 8.5.3 and Apple Devices
Wed, Nov 2nd 2011 8:47a Marie Scott We’ve been testing Traveler 8.5.3 in advance of our roll-out to our users this weekend. One thing we noticed was that on our Apple test devices, lookups for groups returned extra data. See below:
Upon investigation, I found this wiki article. Adding the following property to the datatravelercfgNTSConfig.xml file
addresses this issue and does not affect lookups for any other device (Android, etc.). Be sure to test this out first before modifying this in your production environment!
[read] Keywords: ldd
Domino 8.5.3 and iNotes Lite Mode
Wed, Nov 2nd 2011 8:04a Marie Scott A colleague of mine ran into this scenario after migrating to Domino 8.5.3 with iNotes. After upgrading, users logging into iNotes would experience a browser time. Research found that the setting in the notes.ini: iNotes_wa_DefaultUI=dwa_lite if removed, would allow the users to login successfully. However, the preference was to have iNotes_lite as the default. They aren’t using the iNotes redirect to set those settings on the fly.
After contacting IBM Support, they were notified t [read] Keywords: domino